Gaming - where to?  

Posted by slash2k01

I find myself increasingly un-impressed with the countless sequels and developers wringing out the last drops of life from dishevelled franchises and so I pose the question to you, what lies in store for the future of gaming? What is the next big revolution we are going to see?

Personally, I think that the way forward is to utilise the human body more effectively in games and I don't just mean "Wii wand waving". A full on sensory onslaught, with innovative peripherals that utilise every human sense, whether this be done via brainwave manipulation, or some other sci-fi esq method, I hope this is what we will see in the next generation of computer games.

This of course has been the aim of developers and researchers for years, but only now are we at a point where it is really needed to shake up an industry that is milking its cash cow with the same old games just tweaked in some way.

So please leave comments with some ideas, for both new types of games and also new peripherals.

I'll kick it off - I wanna see a sensor that can read nerve impulses send down the spinal column and use these to recreate movement in a game accurately. I have no idea if this is even anatomically accurate but seems good to me!

1 comments

The problem with your idea is that for a game to be interesting, it's got to do what humans are physically in capable of doing, so transferring those effects to the body would be counterproductive. I wouldn't want to be the game tester when Niko takes a shot to the head in GTA, or when one of rainbow team takes several shots to the body. I think VR is the way to go

Post a Comment

Contributors

Tags